Lacking in heft but a diverting adventure story

3 stars

The Recruit was a diverting distraction as Sarah Black, fresh from uni and failing to be snatched up by the civil service, is handed a job of gentle spying without a bit of training. On one hand it was a well written adventure story but on the other it felt a bit too safe and contrived. If I could disconnect from my disbelief I might not have questioned how a young woman could get as far as Sarah did and manage to hop around Eastern Europe on deniable ops pretty much unscathed. No danger to speak of, she blagged her way into various situations that simply failed to ring true. The bits that were meant to fill the reader with worry for her just seemed a bit tame. A fun romp, at a PG rating, I'll grant you, but maybe not a series I will eagerly anticipate?
 

Comments