A rich and twisty thriller I could not put down
I've read a fair few novels written by Erin Kelly and am never disappointed by
them. They each bring a little something different to the table and The
Night Stairs is no exception. I revelled in the time I spent at St
Cordula's school, in both the past and current timelines. The sense of
mystical religious mystery interwoven with a gaggle of unruly girls
living by and breaking the rules of a convent school just spelled good
fun for me. On some level I believe I would have loved boarding at
school with the comradery that comes from finding life-long friends you
live with for much of the year and the bonds that creates. Definitely
part of the charm, much like the Harry Potter series, a sense of
united-ness, working as one toward an aim or solving a centuries old
mystery.
We have two parallel storylines in The Night Stairs -
2002 and current day. Both periods have an outbreak of girl students
suffering from 'the spins', a crushing vertigo believed to be brought on
by allowing 15th century St. Matilda's handwritten words, 'God forgive
me', to fade on the wall. Could it be true? This isn't the only mystery
afoot. Deputy Head, Fiona Fox has secrets of her own but how far is she
willing to go to keep them hidden?
I enjoyed both then and now
plotlines but there were quite a few characters to keep straight in
each. All the bullying, personal conflict, comradery and religious faith
melded into a well paced, rather addictive story I could not put down. I
was keen to know Fiona's secret and what really happened in 2002.
Things take a decidedly twisty turn toward the climax of the novel.
Quite possibly going a titch too far? But a satisfying conclusion
regardless. As ever, Erin Kelly delivers a rich story filled with smart
and intriguing characters and a mystery plot to keep readers guessing.
Great fun, indeed!

Comments
Post a Comment