Good, but could be more

⭑⭑⭑  The Girl from Widow Hills had all the things I often appreciate in a novel - a dark atmosphere, a woman in possible danger, a mystery to solve and a great sense of unease. This is a good novel that kept my interest but there was something, just out of my grasp, that kept me from rating it higher.

It felt as if the red herrings were distributed widely and liberally. Every character in the book became a suspect at one point or another. If I was Olivia/Arden I would get a less shifty group of friends as the ones she has at the mo don't come across very trustworthy. I'm not sure Olivia is all to likeable, if I honest. She is ok but not a character you care about over much. This book had a great edgy quality that held tension strongly throughout but came across almost one dimensional. As shallow as a puddle, nearly, which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you are diving in and out during a beach holiday. But, being in lockdown limbo where time has little meaning I guess I want more to sink my teeth into.

Please don't get me wrong. I did enjoy my time with The Girl from Widow Hills. I was keen to see how it would resolve, and the twist was worth the wait, but I want that bit more than this particular novel  delivered.

Comments

Popular Posts