Good, but needs emotion

 

⭑⭑⭑  Although the timing of this dystopian tale of men tipping toward extinction (thanks to a prostate cancer-causing pandemic sweeping the world) couldn't have been better, I simply could not 'feel' this book. It was hard going even taking into consideration the well written story of Cole, her twelve year old son, Miles (disguised as a girl), and Cole's sister Billie hot on their trail across the States. 

It's compelling stuff and Afterland had many points in its favor but the lack of emotion and connection didn't induce me to love this novel. It was a flat line read that didn't raise pulses or foster a connection with the characters. I didn't like them, I didn't dislike them, the bad guys didn't feel especially bad and no real feeling of threat, anxiety or tension. Much of that may well be because Cole is being a good parent and shielding her son from the awful new existence they face but for me, the reader, I want to be encouraged to empathize and worry for them. I want the grit and the pain, the hardship and sense of loss after Miles's dad died. It just didn't happen with me. Afterland was a calm sea with lots of possibly but little interest, I'm afraid.

Comments

Popular Posts