A great followup to The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle

 

⭑⭑⭑⭑  I really enjoyed this swash-buckling adventure battling demons and mysterious goings on aboard a convoy of ships journeying in 1634 to Amsterdam. I marveled at Turton's previous novel, The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle, and found The Devil and the Dark Water to be a shade shy of the deep intrigue planted by Seven Deaths. It also felt a wee bit contrived - the relationship between Arent and Sara most especially - but the journey was so arresting and I liked the characters so well I wasn't bothered to witness that come to its inevitable conclusion.

I loved the grand unveiling at the climax. So much detail to unravel and so well accomplished! A great read that will keep you hooked. For me, Stuart Turton is a proven talent and I will continue to read all he writes.

Comments

Popular Posts