Life on the run

 

 ⭑⭑⭑⭑  Louise Doughty and I don’t always align but this, like Platform Seven, delivered a solid gut punch. I wasn’t expecting the flash of James Bond so wasn’t disappointed. A Bird in Winter is more the quiet, gritty reality of life for an agent on the run, if maybe a rusty one. It’s thoughtful, considered and reflective of earlier life and how Heather reached the point she is at. So easily done, it seems, but why is she running?

Heather isn’t the most likeable character but she is one the reader can trust to be pragmatic and sensible…in a fashion. She isn’t emotional but does seem real in many regards. Her struggle in life, and throughout this book, pulled me in and I felt empathetic to her plight. This book struck the right tone for me and took me on a journey I wasn’t expecting. Not high octane but a thoughtful turn at a quasi spy novel.

Comments

Popular Posts