Hooray for Natalie Haynes!

 

 ⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑ There are two amazing authors I have been privileged enough to hear speak that made me feel I wasted my life and could have done more important work. They are Peter Frankopan and Natalie Haynes. Both eminently talented and funny, both of a similar age to me. Growing up in the states, I doubt if my early love of Greek myth could have been something I made a living from but reading/listening to Natalie Haynes I feel I should have tried. Her passion and knowledge makes something in my heart sing. Though I haven't a fraction of her learning on the topic, my casual fascination is enough to fill me with joy each time she publishes a book.

Divine Might follows on beautifully from Pandora's Jar as Natalie chats about Goddesses, sharing easily their strengths and weaknesses and illustrating why we love or despise them. Of course she writes about Hera, Athene, Aphrodite and Artemis - these lovelies are box office draws. But the chapters that drew me in the most were the ones on the Muses, the Furies and Hestia. Great kudos for Hestia! Few may know of her but my devotion goes so far as to name my sourdough starter after her. Goddess of home and hearth, indeed! She is well worshipped in my household each time we slice into a fresh loaf.

I love Natalie's conversational way of talking in these books. It is choked full of facts and history but never feels as if you are enduring a lecture. The tying in of pop culture references makes ancient Greek myth approachable and let's the reader understand our authoress better. Geeking out on Greek myth is such a guilty pleasure for me and this book gets full marks for entertaining as well as teaching. Thank you so very much, Natalie!

Comments

Popular Posts