A scary premise

 

 ⭑⭑⭑⭑ The premise of Nightwatching held me in a vise-like grip. A mother at home late at night with her two sleeping children realises there is someone in her house. What does she do? Can you imagine anything more terrifying?!

I read late into the night to find out what would come after. Full marks for intense, sustained tension. After that I felt the story lagged a bit. Too much overly complex backstory? Too much mental dialogue and self criticism? Hyper sensitivity to male chauvinism? Not sure I warmed to the mother so didn't feel the empathy I would have expected. I couldn't get a good read on her. It felt like harder work than it should be but I did persevere and was glad I did. The direction of travel was very good and the end seemed satisfying.

Comments

Popular Posts