Compelling family drama and mystery

 

   ⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑  I found myself wholly wrapped up in the family dysfunction and The Golden Bones quest at the heart of The Skeleton Key. It served as the perfect distraction taking me away to a world where crazed bone hunters not only hunt for clues in the real world, but also share their obsession in chat rooms online, ever seeking the one final missing bone to complete Eleanor's skeleton. Two families, the Churchers and the Lallys, merged as one when this children's mystery quest/picture book created in the 70s bound them together through thick and thin. A global fascination has dogged the steps of Frank Churcher, its creator, since the publication of The Golden Bones, overshadowing his more serious artistic endeavours, leaving him bitter.

I loved the story as a whole and the characters that people this gripping read. Initially it felt like quite a vast cast but they fall into place soon enough making the family tree clear. Nell's story and life on a canal boat sparked my imagination. Ever hiding and avoiding anything to do with the Golden Bones, as it proved dangerous to her in her youth, she loves her family deeply but is happy to keep a distance from anything to do with The Golden Bones. The family dynamic and the way they are with each other says to me our ingenious author must have come from a big family. It feels so real; full of flaws, tantrums, lifelong understandings and the untruths one might grow up believing to be real. Through it all shines love, in whatever form that might take. It's so well written with the bouncing back and forth in time shedding bits of light on events from the past that have a consequence in the present day of 2021. I relished this novel and am reminded what a vast talent Erin Kelly possesses. Enjoying The Skeleton Key as much as I did, I must revisit her previous works and read those I may have missed.

The Skeleton Key is a mystery to be solved with great tension, twists, sarcasm and chocked full of angst and heart. It covers lots of ground but will leave the reader satisfied with the outcome and the path it took to get there. I hope you agree.

Comments

Popular Posts