Good, but not my favourite

 

 ⭑⭑⭑  The Fell gives a realistic portrayal of life in lockdown within the UK. It was a dark time full of uncertainty and hard on those who lead an active life outdoors as neighbours tattled on neighbours to the police when they felt lockdown guidelines were being ignored. Not very neighbourly and, hopefully, out of character given the usual circumstances.

I failed to gel with the story though it was well written. It took me a while to come to grips with the sentence structure - extremely long sentences and abnormal punctuation on the dialogue - and even the characters. I kept mixing up Kate and Alice until I found my sea legs and it all fell into place. I did feel for Kate in her awful predicament but, I felt, Alice was the real star as she delivered a heartbreaking storyline being an elderly woman on her own. A tough time as all struggled with their own issues made clear in this novel.

Comments

Popular Posts