A story of three brothers and their childhood

 

 ⭑⭑⭑  I didn't gel with The Survivors as I would have expected. I'm not sure why, exactly. Stories set at a family summer lake house with flashes of childhood happenings molding the reflective adult tend to go down a storm with me. The writing was very good. Better than that, even, as the descriptions are rather sparing and spartan yet conveyed perfectly the time, place and event without any flowery devices. That takes great skill. Perhaps because I didn't particularly like or dislike Nils, Benjamin or Pierre, the three brothers? I also found a couple of events within the novel disturbing. I expect that left a lingering film on my view. But, as I said, The Survivors was very well written. Worth a read for that alone.

Comments

Popular Posts