A creepy atmospheric read


  ⭑⭑⭑  I struggle to review Dog Rose Dirt. It ran at a 4 star rating for much of the novel possessing a darkly creepy atmosphere and a mystery that interested me. Heather's estranged mother committed suicide and now Heather has to sort out her affairs. While at her mother's home, Heather finds a bundle of letters from a convicted serial Killer, known as the Red Wolf. Curiously intriguing, eh? Heather then goes about trying to piece together the facts of how her mother came to know such a man. Strange things happen and there is sinister activity afoot, great stuff for a novel.

I was entirely with the story and its gentle unfolding until the end when it felt as if I was suddenly going into the jungle with Rambo. Heather, not really a character I warmed to, suddenly changes into action girl and rushes about on a mission and things go a bit wild. Maybe too high octane too fast but it felt a jarring shift. Yes, it was exciting but seemed out of left field to my view. Exciting? I suppose it was but seemed out of character. A solid story up until then and not necessarily a negative. I've read many a book with highly unlikely developments but here it just seemed too much, too fast.

Comments

Popular Posts