A brilliant lockdown mystery

 

  ⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑  A mystery set in Ireland during the first covid lockdown. Sounds crazy but I really loved 56 Days. Though, I wouldn't have thought I would given how current and lingering this pandemic is proving to be.

In this novel Ciara and Oliver meet and start a relationship just before the start of the lockdown drama. It made me feel ever so mildly nostalgic for the first lockdown when everyone took it seriously and life reached a quiet, simpler rhythm. A blissful time from my perspective. But, back to the book, things aren't as simple as all that as, clearly, there is another agenda at play, yet to be discovered.

Some cracking twists in this story and good character development. The book bounces back and forth between Ciara and Oliver within the last 56 days. There is also another perspective from the police set at the end of that period working to suss out what transpired. I've not read a Catherine Ryan Howard book before and hope DI Leah Riordan features in her previous works. Her relationship with her partner Karl is worth the price of admission by itself. Leah's a smart cookie and has great instincts. If I've stumbled upon another police procedural series I will be jolly happy!

Comments

Popular Posts