The best book I have read during covid

 

  ⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑  Dark, disturbing, completely absorbing. I could not put The Last Thing to Burn down and stayed awake reading late into the night on more than one occasion. I could not let the story go, or rather, the story wouldn't let me go! It seems deceptively simple but is compelling as hell.

An illegal Vietnamese woman is held captive by Lenn, a farmer on the Fenlands of England. He calls her Jane, that is not her name, he gives her the freedom to do housework, cook and go outdoors, but she doesn't escape though she longs to. What keeps her and how can this story create such an iron hold on readers?!? I'm not going to spoil this ingenious story by delving any further into the plot points. But, will simply say this book may very well be top of my pandemic reading list for 2020. I have not been so deeply involved in a story, and completely distracted from the global troubles, as when I was reading this novel. Will Dean, bless you and I beg you to start writing another novel straight away.

Comments

Popular Posts