Strange? Yes. Worth it? Completely!

⭑⭑⭑⭑  Oh, what a struggle to rate and review Gingerbread! I finished it ages ago and have been pondering the appropriate messages to convey about this mysteriously gorgeous, delicious yet perplexing novel.

I have chosen to go with my gut of 4 stars as the writing quality is completely bewitching and transfixing. Yes, the story does take the less traveled path down bazaar-o street but it is so beguiling as to seem normal. I enjoyed the fairy tale elements interwoven throughout the story though at times I was more confused than I am happy to admit. I don't dare touch on the plot for fear of dropping some crucial tidbit but let's suffice it to say that this is the story of relationships; between mother and daughter, extended family members and those we hold dear for unclear reasons.

It brings to mind the novels of Gregory Maguire in it's casual deployment of magical elements to great effect. Such great fun. Gingerbread is brilliantly beautiful, creative storytelling but may be a titch tricky to track once the story gets underway. Is that a deterrent? No, not at all. I really enjoyed this otherworldly gem and hope you do, too.

Comments

Popular Posts