Possibly the best non-fiction book I have ever read!

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑  The Feather Thief defies all expectation. An amazing stunner of a story, it is such a fantastical story you simply couldn't make it up! The shock, anger and sheer befuddlement (on my part) at the crime, the outcome and the sad lack of respect for laws and history is gobsmacking. I am working incredibly hard to keep myself from overusing the exclamation mark so I hope you can appreciate my restraint as this book really got to me.

Where to begin? Firstly, I have to congratulate Kirk Johnson on this book. It's such a gripping read. I struggled to set it aside and spent more than one night reading far later than is normal. I just couldn't get enough. Setting the stage with the historical significance of Alfred Russel Wallace's commitment and hard work brought a fresh appreciation for the invaluable nature of what had been lost... erhm, stolen. This crime - stealing Victorian era, historically important bird skins of protected, even extinct species, to tie salmon flies - is just so incomprehensible. It makes my heart hurt to think of it. I love birds. I love history. I love museums. I know nothing of salmon fishing but the way it is explained here made me care enough to learn about it and those willing to break the law to mimic an insect with illegal materials.

The timeline of the book is faultless. We learn how the birds were collected for science and the great pains necessary to safeguard them, we learn of how birds became the 'it' accessory and then how that eventually came to an end. It was thoroughly fascinating and well presented. I was hooked well before we reached Edwin and his museum break-in. I could go on and on, and would happily, but fear I will let slip details which are best discovered for yourself.

Read this book. You will not regret it. It will enlighten you and make you appreciate the nature word in a new way. I am so pleased to have found you, Mr. Johnson, and will keep my eyes open for more injustices that you can shed light upon. Thank you!

Comments

Popular Posts