Not the full shilling

 

⭑⭑⭑ I've read a fair bit of murder mysteries lately and Murder by Candlelight seemed to hit the mark. It's got a decidedly period feel about it, being set around the 20s, and is so charming with polite mannerisms. Just the ticket! I tucked in blissfully but failed to really connect with it fully. Why, I wondered? Because I guessed the murderer? No, that's not right, as the pool of potential killers was rather lacking, But the mechanism for murder was ingenious and well worthy of high praise. Was it the red herrings? They seemed a bit limp and not worth investing grey matter on so not quite the distraction intended. It just lacked a bit of motivation and felt full of filler, intended, possibly, to be taken for red herrings. Not by me, I can tell you.

I really liked the style of writing and the method of murder - how brilliant! - but felt the story lacked a bit of spark that would have propelled it to great levels. Suckered in by a smart cover but was time well spent. I did enjoy it.

Comments

Popular Posts