Horray for Atalanta!

 

⭑⭑⭑⭑ This was by far my favourite Jennifer Saint Greek myth retelling I've read to date. Maybe because there is a lot more meat to Atalanta's story or because I only vaguely knew her story? I believe this character - who was left on the mountainside as an infant, raised by a bear then taken under Artemis's wing before heading out with the Argonauts - was one that suited Jennifer's Saint's style of writing.


Atalanta is not a girly girl. No wasted emotion, scheming or deceit for her. She is a survivor and a pragmatist. She is a doer but an honest observer, as well, which translated well in this novel. I honestly grew to know and appreciate Atalanta and her unique offering to the Argonauts and beyond. Not knowing how her story ended, I did dread the Greek myth tragedy, that often befalls adventurers and lovers, alike, but found I was satisfied and even pleased for Atalanta's end. Really well delivered and a great close to an amazing woman spun from ancient Greek tales.

Comments

Popular Posts