Great courtroom drama

 

 ⭑⭑⭑  I struggle to review Mad Honey. It's more of a 3.5 star for me. Not because of the big reveal but maybe because it felt like a Hallmark movie crossed with advertising propaganda/how-to guide on the topic of the reveal? Maybe because I didn't warm to Lily, our murdered girl? Could she have been written to be more of a know-it-all? The endless trivia she spouted about wide ranging topics got under my skin. That, and the perfectness of Lily and Asher and their relationship. These kids had no flaws, it seems. It came across so unnaturally contrived and false. Much like Olivia's reflections on the early days of her relationship with Asher's dad. Guys just don't act that way and over romanticising them doesn't ring true.

What I did like was the courtroom drama. You simply cannot beat a good cross examination and the defensive verbal jousting of attorneys. Exceptionally well written, here. Very American and impactful in the pain, vulnerability and cruelty that is unleashed before judge and jury. It made the book worth reading, for me. I liked that Mad Honey raised important issues. I liked the bees. If I am honest, it was the bees that made me pick up this book. Olivia also spouted loads of bee facts, mildly annoying, but proved useful as I had a cold and sore throat whilst reading. Yes, honey swallowed by the spoonful does help a sore throat.

Comments

Popular Posts