Exceptional tale of love, nature and culture

 

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑  If I could read only ten authors for the rest of my life, Elif Shafak would be on my list. Her exceptional skill at depicting culturally diverse, beautifully rounded characters with authenticity, grace, charm and good humour is second to none. Not only that but in The Island of Missing Trees we have the added privilege of enjoying the point of view of a fig tree. Ingenious and captivating, and a first for me, but one perspective I found delightful. What a crafty method to impart knowledge that might otherwise be tricky to come by for a narrator!

This is a novel covering much ground and a number of today's touch points - climate change, religious persecution, immigration, war, genocide, bullying, homophobia. Heavy topics but the heart of the story is rooted in love. Love of people, love of nature, love of culture.

Our story begins with star crossed lovers in Cyprus during the 70s. They must hide their love as Kostas is Greek and Defne is Turkish. Their families must never know so they meet in secret at a local taverna. As their love grows the beauty of their island is well described and takes me back to times I enjoyed in Cyprus. Described in equal measure are the atrocities as the island is torn in two through violence and religious intolerance. An awful point that isn't much spoken of but leads them to the UK where they raise their daughter, Ada, and the story takes on a different dimension. I won't go deeper into the story as I want you to enjoy this novel with fresh eyes as I did.

Needless to say, this is a magical tale that touches the soul and makes one appreciate the glories of life, love and nature. I listened to the audio and it was sublime, utter perfection. My favourite narrator had to be the old and wise fig tree as she casually conveyed the beauty of the Cypriot culture and great sincerity in her feelings for the various people and creatures she encountered. So stunningly done! Tremendous writing, as ever, and a real joy to behold. The Island of Missing Trees is a rich story that will linger with the reader for some time to come. I hope you agree.

Comments

Popular Posts