My heart bursts with admiration for this series

 

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑  I have dragged this out as long as possible. It is time to finally write up my views on Slough House, thus bringing an end to my time, at present, with Jackson Lamb and his crew of misfits. As with all the previous books in this series, I find this book superb. It's a spy novel but not a flashy, adrenaline-filled ticking time bomb ready to explode. But, rather, a calmer, more calculated real-world view of the spy game. It's subtle, sharp as a knife's edge and complex. Its (sometimes) deftly handled political wrangling and positioning, as performed by Diana Taverner and Jackson Lamb, puts Mick Herron in the orbit of espionage writers held in highest esteem. This is the long game at its best.

Slough House follows swiftly on the heels of Joe Country, where our beloved joes saw action in the Welsh countryside. The Salisbury novichok attacks have happened in the book and reprisals have been dealt on Russian soil, with private UK funding. Now, the Russians are retaliating, against our reprisal, and things are getting out of hand. Bring on the steadying hand of Jackson Lamb. Jackson is in good form here. Sarcastic as ever but I do wonder if the liberal application of sarcasm may be a touch much? Nary a conversation occurs without a rude put down but my unflinching admiration can take the overdose of flippancy. Part of the charm of this series and Jackson's genius.

We have a welcomed surprise development which brought a smile to my face. It will change the dynamic of the team going forward. Mick Herron is on point, as ever, adding depth to a handful of characters in his oh so subtly, crafty way. I appreciate the build up of tension and the direction it went. A cliffhanger that's left me anxious but isn't that the goal? I was caught of guard by the reference to my talented artist friend and his work. I am dying to know which piece it was on the wall at the OB's house?

I hope it isn't inappropriate to burst with excitement that the Slough House series is being adapted for tv by Apple? It will be titled Slow Horses; I only just found out and, heartily believe, it is the perfect character driven drama in the spy realm located in London. And who better than Gary Oldman to play Jackson Lamb! I am overjoyed and looking forward to reliving the early exploits of our slow horses through the small screen.

Comments

Popular Posts