Beguilingly beautiful language

⭑⭑⭑⭑  I was utterly charmed and enthralled by The Liar's Dictionary, as any logophile would be. Not only are there two parallel stories of interest - one around Peter Winceworth a disenchanted Victorian lexicographer for the Swansby's Encyclopedic Dictionary and the other about modern day Intern Mallory working at the same establishment - but there is an abundance of terminology most readers will not have encountered before. It's vivid and amazing and joyous to behold in its scope and conversational depth. Quite unlike anything I've read before on that score.

I was a bit let down by the end. It felt ever so slightly shy of the mark, in my view. But, given my delight with the novel it would have been difficult to find an ending that would have done it justice.

If you love intriguing words and ideas, you are certain to delight in this novel as well.

Comments

Popular Posts