Love blooms in WWII letters

⭑⭑⭑⭑  Love in the Blitz provides a unique insight into life during the WWII London blitz and beyond. Eileen is a whip smart girl who writes copious letters to her friend/beau/husband during the course of this book. As much as I enjoyed this view into a lost world, I would be very happy never to read again the words 'darling', 'solace', and 'sorrow'. These terms are used endlessly in her missives - clearly the lingo of the time - and possibly more palatable to Gershon who would have read them once every few days rather than in a few sittings, as I did. Beyond that little bother I found the book great fun and a well timed to read during lockdown, another time of personal struggle.

What would Eileen think of her letters being published in a book? Once she overcame the excitement I think she might be embarrassed to have her private thoughts and gossip spread so liberally about for all to see. I would be mortified to have my love letters to my husband available for public consumption. Sweet as her love musings are, they do get a bit soppy, as I suspect we all have done... if we can remember back that far to early love in our courtship.

There is much intelligent thought happening in Eileen's head to offset the occasional silliness. She was a very bright and perceptive young woman. I would absolutely love to see Gershon's replies. A pity Eileen didn't treasure his utterances as much as he did hers. Neigh on 1400 letters in total! My, Eileen, you do have much to say.

Love in the Blitz is fun, entertaining, enlightening and full of sweet love tokens to bring delight to your day. Just what we need to lighten the weight of lockdown.

Comments

Popular Posts