Amazing trilogy start

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑  Welcome to the future. Human civilization, as we know it today, has fallen with pockets of survivors scratching out an existence in villages few and far between. This is the north of England but probably not one you will recognize as trees and other plants actively hunt humans and anyone who can wake old tech has near god-like status. I loved the other-worldliness of The Book of Koli. In this time of isolation I find delving into a post apocalyptic novel a real comfort. Escape your daily challenges and chores to follow the happenings of Koli, our intrepid youth turned man who embarks on an adventure far from the norm in his isolated village, Mythen Rood.

As I said this is brilliant escapism with top tier world building. Life is simpler but harder in many ways. There are numerous threats and life is not easy living by the code of the village, especially when you understand things are not as they seem. The underlying puzzle of cracking the spoken language - not unlike uneducated American hillbillies (no disrespect intended), to my mind - takes some getting used to as does the alternative names for locations and tech. Deciphering what they are talking about is half the fun. I dropped into the story with ease and shadowed Koli through all his choices and mishaps. It's a big and dangerous world out there with killer plants, snakes and bugs and other people who have an alien belief system of their own and mean you harm. I honestly couldn't get enough as this was just what I needed right now. I am most pleased this is the first in a trilogy with more Koli to come. Our boy will experience a great deal and I will be an eager companion when he sets off again.

Comments

Popular Posts