Another great novel by Nicci French

⭑⭑⭑⭑  This standalone book by the talented partnership Nicci French was one I looked forward to eagerly every night. I even feigned sleepiness to sneak away early, a time or two, so I might dwell in this world and unravel the mystery along with Neve. I have so enjoyed being a guest of Neve and Fletcher's throughout this entire novel. Neve, especially, embodied a casual easiness that makes her quick friends with all she meets. Sadly, the brutal murder of her lover brings the guilt she carries over the love affair to the fore as she strives to hide her connection to the victim whilst unearthing the real culprit.

This book certainly kept me guessing and I was of a 5-star mind throughout the entire yarn but the end just wrapped up too cleanly for me feeling anticlimactic in its lack of a finale shocker. I really wanted, and expected, a gotcha that never developed. Also, the aloof Mabel and her previous troubles, which were alluded to numerous times, just didn't ring true for me. Maybe she was the antithesis to all the easy, chummy socializing that orbited her magnetic mother and occurred in her family's home? She was the one element of Neve's life that didn't simply slot into place with no effort or thought. Perhaps she resented her mother's siren-like effect on others?

Regardless, I absolutely devoured this novel and was transfixed by the journey to conclusion. Though I have a couple tiny niggles, this is a novel to read and share with others. Especially very close friends, like Neve's.

Comments

Popular Posts