Mythological tale of the Trojan War from a female perspective

⭑⭑⭑⭑  Having read The Song of Achilles not that long ago, it seemed rather rash to be jumping straight back into the battle over Troy... but I couldn't help myself. There is perfection in the tragic story of Achilles and Patroclus. And in this telling, Briseis features widely, too. She speaks to us as a woman of conquered lands taken as a slave by the conqueror. She is given to Achilles as a prize and serves him in whatever capacity he deems necessary.

This is a strong retelling but one point I found irksome may be just the reason younger generations might take up this ancient tale - the modern parlance. I won't say it drove me mad but it did grate after the richness, and possibly more accurate, dialog found in The Song of Achilles. But, as I say, younger generations may enjoy this version better being 1) narrated, mainly, from a female perspective; 2) using modern language and words and 3) being of a feminist nature, which is all the rage at the moment.

This is a powerful story of pride and honour which still touches my heart, and gives me pangs of anxiety, when I know key events are about to unfold. I love it as I love all stories of mythology but this is a special one and Pat Barker has done a terrific job in retelling this well known story. The characters felt real, the struggle and sense of time seemed authentic and the pain of a long war and lengthier stubborn patch feel as heavy for the reader as it does Achilles, Patroclus and the Myrmidons. Well worth reading, this!

Comments

Popular Posts