Loving mythology and anything by Madeline Miller

⭑⭑⭑⭑⭑  Having read and cherished every word of Circe, Madeline Miller's most recent novel, I had to go back and read this, The Song of Achilles. I have no idea how I missed it when first published but I have now made amends and honor both Achilles and Patroclus by doing so.

What a brilliant story! I grew up reading Greek mythology so appreciated the adherence to mythology in this faithful retelling. The only problem with knowing what will happen in advance is the build up and painful agony awaiting those moments of doom. It's like living with a prophecy and looking for it to come true, much like Achilles and Patroclus did.

This is a lovingly crafted story that is sensitive to a wide assortment of characters well beyond Achilles and Patroclus. So many characters are portrayed genuinely, in larger than life fashion that the reader is swept up and feels a part of it. The Trojan War was very well illustrated but it was the early years between our two main characters that proved sweetest and was touching to behold. It makes the bond they share a tangible thing that stings mightily when event unfold in dramatic, prophetic realization. I had to work hard to keep my tears in check.

I am a fan of Madeline Miller for life. She has a brilliant talent for conveying the stories of the Gods to us and I am deeply thankful of her efforts. The Song of Achilles is sure to satisfy those with a hankering for Greek mythology, so don't miss out on this gem.

Comments

Popular Posts